173-183 2nd Ave S

Historic Pinder Building

Picture 012 pics taken by LP 13jul09 resized

The historic Pinder Building is one of the oldest and most historically-significant buildings in the city and is a landmark on the corner of 2nd Avenue and 21st Street. This building was described in contemporary sources as a “two-storey building of Bedford cut stone and pressed brick. The main entrance [was] ornamented with fluted columns with carved ionic capitals.”

Year Constructed

1909

Original Builder/Use

Union Bank, one of the earliest banks

Significant Early Owners

The Pinder family, Saskatoon pharmacists since the early days

Adaptive Reuse

After many uses, it came full circle to be used as a bank again from 1993 to 2004.

Architectural Features

The Union Bank was described in contemporary sources as a “two-storey building of Bedford cut stone and pressed brick. The main entrance [was] ornamented with fluted columns with carved ionic capitals. The main banking room and vestibule [were] floored with Italian marble and all office fittings [were] in mahogany and oxidized copper.”

Building History

The Union Bank is claimed to be the second chartered bank in Saskatoon, although it occupied other premises previously. W.W. Ashley was a teller and accountant at the bank in the first decade of the twentieth century. In 1912, the head office moved to Winnipeg, and in 1925 the bank was absorbed by the Royal Bank. There have been many changes over the years to the windows and lower floors. Alterations in the 1920s, when the ceiling on the main floor was lowered, resulted in an extra level without raising the roof. The bank premises were also subdivided in the 1920s. It is still characterized by a low profile, rounded corners and Grecian-style dentil moulds under the cornice.

Photo Gallery


Photo Credits: Saskatoon Public Library, Mid-West Group of Companies.

Notable Occupants

Union Bank of Canada, Tip Top Tailors, Sally Shops, Furtown, The Nut House, Cinderella Style Shop, United Cigar Stores, Fran’s Gifts, Sun Life, Laurentian Bank, WatchIt, Frakas Shop for Women, Flight Centre

Renovations

Recent renovations in the early 1990s by prominent Saskatoon developer Ken Achs (Mid-West Development (2000) Corp.), preserved the exterior character of the bank (as it was after the extra level was inserted); the interior is modern. The building and its developer received numerous heritage awards for the renovation including the 1993 Heritage Award from the City of Saskatoon. The architectural firm hired for the renovation was Kindrachuk Agrey Architecture.

~ ~ ~